The Respiratory Protective Equipment
Face Fit Testing Course is suitable for anyone who wears respiratory protective equipment on either a frequent or infrequent basis or has the duty to manage RPE procedures in the workplace.
Respiratory Protective Equipment (RPE) may be required when working with hazards and protect workers when working with hazardous substances, such as gases, solvents, powdered chemicals and sprays.
It is a legal requirement that individuals are face fit tested for tight fitting RPE such as filtering face pieces, half masks, and full face mask respirators that they may be required to use.
The requirements for face fit testing are described in the approved code of practices (ACoPs) supporting:
- The control of lead at Work Regulations
- The control of asbestos at Work Regulations
- COSHH Regulation
This course addresses how those requirements apply to regular users of RPE.
During the Face Fit Testing training course staff will learn:
- background to face fit testing
- legislation and guidance
- what equipment needs fit testing
- when fit testing should be conducted
- troubleshooting & problem solving
- ½ face respirators using reusable and disposable masks
When Should Fit Testing be Carried Out?
- A Fit Test can be carried out in the initial stages of selecting RPE, where an untested face piece is already in use or when the wearer has any significant facial changes (i.e. weight gain or loss, facial hair growth, etc). Fit testing does not need to be done annually but it is recommended that face piece wearers receive annual refresher training covering the selection, use & maintenance of their mask.
When face pieces are issued on an individual basis, it is recommended that they receive an individual assessment on their own face piece.
Please note that in order for the face fit tests to work, the trainee MUST NOT eat, drink or smoke for at least 30 minutes before the test is performed. They must also be clean-shaven as stubble will prevent a good seal and the face fit test will fail.
Who are Face Fit Testing Training Courses for?
- This course is aimed at persons working with Respiratory Protective Equipment.
How long does the Face Fit Testing Training Courses last?
Our Face Fit Testing Training Course is a half day course.